This post is all about game- changing pieces. Here`s the foolproof way to take your outfit from boring to interesting. I stumbled upon this article a while ago. It`s about the third- piece rule and even though I`ve been sort of doing this all the time I never thought about it as a rule. And it hit me that making a rule out of it can work like magic and help people be more creative with their outfits.
What`s the third piece rule? It means that if you`re going to have an outfit made out of 2 pieces of clothing (we do not count footwear here) you always have to add the third piece in order to make your outfit stand out. But don`t get too caught up in the numbers because it won`t work in the cooler months when you have to pile some clothes anyway. You should rather think about always adding something extra to the outfit. Hats, interesting scarves and shawls, chokers, statement earrings, cool jackets. You always need to have the element of surprise.
And if I`m going to make a rule out of it I need to specify that the most successful way of doing it is thinking about the extra piece as a game- changer. To be more specific think about what your outfit needs. Do you want to dress it up or down? What vibe do you want it to have? I know this might sound a little confusing but here are my suggestions:
• If you`re going to wear an office appropriate outfit as a white shirt, a pencil skirt and a classic coat try adding a biker or denim jacket underneath your coat. That peek of the biker jacket lapels can give your outfit such a cool street style vibe. That`s when the biker jacket becomes the game- changer.
• Are you going to wear a suit and oxfords? How about a printed fur stole and a waist belt to dress it up?
• Do you want to have a night out in the town? You could wear a silk cami and a pair of flared pants. What will your game- changer be? A choker, a wool fedora or a long tailored vest? Each of this pieces will take your outfit in a totally different direction.
• Are you having a jeans and t-shirt sort of day? Then you can count on a skinny scarf and a blazer to elevate your look.
• Nothing to wear? What about that simple black dress? Put on a beanie and a dark berry lipstick. Or tie a pinstripe shirt around your waist. That’s how you create a cool grungy outfit.
And you don`t need to stop here. If you fell that you`ve got this you can always add more than one piece. Just make sure everything works together and you don`t overdo it. When in doubt stick with one neutral color.
Do you see what I did here? I used this felt cap to give my outfit a sporty vibe. And it works hand in hand with my felt skirt. The rest of the outfit is black so I don’t have many distractions there. Or take a look at this post. Try to imagine my look without the visor. Plain am I right?
That being said if you already own a wardrobe made out of basics start investing in some statement pieces. What`s the best part? You are using your wardrobe staples in the most effective way. You will never get bored because your outfit will look different every single time. Even though the foundation is the same.
But hey! What are your favorite game- chancing pieces? Leave me a comment and tell me how are you making your outfits stand out.
I am wearing: H&M cap, Weekday dress, H&M turtleneck sweater, self-designed skirt, Zara handbag, Kelsi Dagger boots. And there`s a tutorial on how to DIY the marble cuff right here.
Photos by the uber-talented Cristina Ivascu. Check out her work here.
– Shop the look-