There’s no other closet staple that’s as timeless or as versatile as the white button-down shirt. Taking a look at my past outfits, I couldn`t help but notice that the white shirt is my undisputed staple piece. Weather is a simple crisp white shirt or a more complex shirt dress, it seems I`m always wearing some sort of shirt. So I figured since I love shirts so much, I`d better give myself some options.
One of the trends I couldn`t keep my eyes off is the oversized sleeves. They`re all over the place: runways, fashion week street style, instagram… so it didn`t take long to fall in love with this modern style statement. That`s when I decided to grab a shirt that I didn`t really get to wear (yes…you haven`t seen all my shirts yet ?) and give it a makeover.
If you don`t have the time and tools to transform one, nor the funds to buy one, I have a great news for you. Apparently you only need access to your boyfriend`s closet ?. Ask him to lend you one his shirts and tie up the front to avoid looking too baggy. Be aware of the sleeve length. They have to be long enough to cover at least half of your hand. Eventually unbutton the cuffs to give them some extra volume.
All done but no idea how to wear it? Here are some suggestions :
• Wear it under a suit jacket like me and let the cuffs be the focal point. By wearing it under a suit it becomes office appropriate. Circle a silk scarf around your neck for extra detail and let your coworkers envy unleash.
• For an ultra-cool ensemble put a strapless dress over it. Give it a nonchalant vibe by wearing sneakers or slides. There`s nothing more cool than dressing down your party appropriate dresses.
• One of the power pairings of the season is the shirt over turtleneck combo. Complete the look with a cropped pair of trouser and high heeled mules and stand out from the crowd.
• If you`re the understated minimalist girl, wear it off the shoulder with a pair of tailored trousers. Add a pair of flat mules a la The Row and let the simplicity do the talking.
• Want to show a little leg? Wear it under a long tailored vest and ditch the pants. Finish the look with minimalist jewelry and be prepared to turn heads.
I`m aware that this modern style statement is not the most practical when it comes to eating ice cream or driving a car (ask me how I know that ?). So I can`t help but wonder…Would you wear oversized sleeves? Leave me a comment below.
Photos by Cristina Ivascu. Check out her awesome work here.
Don`t forget to share the love and follow me on social media. I will keep you up to date with every little thing! I promise.?